Are you an aspiring young developer, coder, or designer? Gain or grow your technology and coding proficiencies, enhance your problem-solving skills, excel in communication and team collaboration, forge valuable relationships and make a positive difference in your community.
Do you love:
- having fun and challenging yourself at the same time?
- writing and designing code?
- being curious and finding out how things work?
- being creative and being able to make those ideas a reality?
- working in a small focussed team?
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! Our YouthDev Challenge offers participants the benefit of working in a collaborative team and group. Our programme also provides opportunities for adult participation in the form of experienced technologists mentors, adult volunteers, including parents, who may support planning or serve as coaches for the youth participants. Mentors will typically offer issue expertise, task guidance and encouragement throughout the programme.
Working in a small team, budding coders, developers, and designers will work alongside senior and experienced mentors to deliver an interactive website/app for STEMFest visitors, exhibitors, and stakeholders. Using real-life working principles you will be required to utilise your project planning skills, self-organise, and work collaboratively as a team.
How does it work?
The Challenge will run for 12 weeks, starting May 2020 until September 2020. Participation in the Challenge will be done predominately online with some potential face-to-face team participation towards the end of the programme.
What is the time commitment?
Participants – a minimum of 3-4 hours a week.
Mentors – around 1-2 hours a week.
There is an expectation that (virtual) attendance from both mentors and mentees at applicable events (the kick off event, planning, stand ups, etc.)
- You must be 16 years old and above.
- Have access to a computer or device with internet access. Additional training and software will be provided.
- You must be able to travel to Tauranga for face-to-face sessions in the later part of the programme.
Check out our Facebook.